For ISO 9001 and other Management Standards – the Certifications Organisations check compliance and issue the Certificates
The Certification Organisations or Bodies for the different ISO Management Standards including ISO 9001, ISO 14001, provide Assessors to audit or check Organisations wanting to be certified as meeting the requirements of the relevant Standard. The Certification Organisations are independent organisations assessed and registered by Government set-up Accreditation Bodies – UKAS in the UK, ANAB in the USA for example. This provides “Checks on the Checkers”. In this way, there should be consistent auditing worldwide.
All Certification Organisations should be:
1. Independent from the Accreditation Bodies
2. Independent of the organisations that they assessed/registered
3. Checked and Registered by UKAS, ANAB or equivalent national Accreditation Body
4. Independent of the consultancy assisting the documentation & implementation of the ISO 9001 or other Management Standards
Certification Organisations in the UK fall into the following main groupings:
• Large international multi-disciplinary bodies such as BSI, NQA, SGS Yardsley, Lloyds Register and TUV
• Industry specific bodies such as Loss Prevention Certification Board and SCCS.
• Smaller Certification bodies such as IMS and IEC.