ISO 9001 started as BS 5750 to ensure product quality, consistency and documentation. It achieved these goals but in the process it achieved the reputation of the quantity of the documentation (rather than the product or service quality).
In the year 2000, there was a significant rewrite with the following…
• Customer Satisfaction Focus
• Less Manufacturing Oriented
• More Process Emphasis
• Monitoring Of Quality Objectives
• Continuing Improvement Required
• Skills / Competencies
• Less Emphasis On Documents & Records
There was a minor update in 2008. The next significant update was published in 2015.
Now ISO 9001 is a Business (rather than Product Quality) Standard, you can read further information on ISO 9001 standards by clicking on the following criteria below.